Frequently Asked Questions
This page contains some of the most commonly asked questions and is a good place to look if you are in need of help. Remember, you can also find answers in the Retirement Coordinator Manual or by contacting OPERS.
- Who should be enrolled?
- How do I enroll a new member?
- How do I get an online id?
- When does an employee participate with OPERS? (999 employees)
- Why do I have to enroll part-time employees in OPERS, if they aren't entitled to other benefits from my employer?
- What happens if an employee that I did not enroll in OPERS works 1000 or more hours in a year?
- What happens if an employee that I did enroll in OPERS works less than 1000 hours in a year?
- "Members of OPERS whose hours worked and/or salary earned falls below eligibility levels after they have established eligibility in OPERS (with no break in service) remain eligibile for participation and must continue to participate." - Section 3.1
- How does leave without pay affect eligibility for retirement?
- How is the Final Average Salary calculated?
- What is the Step-Up plan?
- How does unused sick leave work?
- How do I update my employer's unused sick leave policy?
- If an employee has 960 hours of unused sick leave, will they get another year of service?
- What is the "optimal" date for retirement? (What is a rolling calendar?)
Payroll & Contribution Questions
- When is the payroll report and remittance due to OPERS?
- What do I need to know about employees moving between agencies?
- When do I start withholding contributions?
- What are the current contribution rates?
- Who do I contact if I have questions about payroll reporting?
Retirement Questions (What happens when a member leaves employment?)
- What is my role during the retirement process?
- What forms will I need, and where can I find them?
- What do I need to know about a member leaving employment? (Vesting vs Withdrawing)
- Filling out the form. Tell the member their options.
- How do I update my employer and coordinator contact information with OPERS, and what information do I need to provide?
- How do I fix a member's name on OPERS documents?
- What happens if an active member dies?
- When can a retiree go back to work?
- What form do I complete when an OPERS retiree goes back to work?