Calculating your Retirement Benefit
Final Average Compensation x Years of Service Credit x Computation Factor
Retirement benefits for elected officials, members with hazardous duty participation and judges and justices may vary. For specific provisions, please refer to the Essential OPERS.
Final Average Compensation
- Before July 1, 2013: Your final average compensation includes your highest three years out of the last 10 years of participating service prior to retirement (including highest three longevity payments).
- On or After July 1, 2013: Your final average compensation includes your highest five years out of the last 10 years of participating service prior to retirement (including highest five longevity payments).
Years of Service Credit
- If you became a member before November 1, 2012, total service is rounded up or down to the nearest full year.
- If you became a member on or after November 1, 2012, service credit is determined by the actual number of years and months, without rounding.
- The contribution rate may be different for elected officials and hazardous duty employees. Refer to the applicable Essential OPERS for more information.
- Members who elect to participate in the 2.5% Step-Up Program will have applicable full years calculated at 2.5 percent instead of two percent. See 2.5% Step-Up for more information or ask your retirement coordinator for a brochure.
Sally is retiring with a final average compensation of $30,000. She has 15 years of service credit and has the standard computation factor of two percent. As you can see below, Sally’s normal, gross, maximum benefit is $750 per month.
$30,000 x 15 x 0.02 = $9,000 (or $750 per month)
By looking at the table, you can see each year of service equals two percent of the final average compensation. With Sally’s 15 years of service, her retirement benefit will replace approximately 30 percent of her final average compensation in retirement.
|Benefit as a % of Average Compensation||20%||30%||40%||50%||60%||70%||80%||90%||100%|
An online benefit estimator is available for members more than two years from retirement eligibility. This calculator uses your assumptions of salary and service credit to estimate a retirement benefit and was designed for members in early to mid-career to start retirement planning. Members nearing retirement are encouraged to request a benefit estimate.