If you are an active member of OPERS who served in the Armed Forces of the United States and received an honorable discharge, you are eligible for up to five years of prior or participating service credit for specified periods of active military service during which you were a war veteran.

Cost to Purchase Military Service

Military service credit may be purchased at actuarial cost, which represents the amount required to fund an increase in future lifetime benefits. Use the calculator below to estimate the cost of purchasing military service credit. 

Military Service Purchase Calculator

By utilizing this service purchase cost estimator, I acknowledge and agree:

  1. This tool provides an estimate of my cost to purchase additional years of military service. There is no guarantee of the accuracy of the information.
  2. This cost estimator is not appropriate for use by URSJJ members, elected officials, or OPERS members with Step-Up service.
  3. OPERS reserves the right to correct any errors.

Applying for Military Service Credit

To be eligible for credit, you will need to submit an Application for Military Service and a Defense Department Form 214 (“DD214”). Employees joining OPERS after June 30, 2003, will not receive credit for military service in OPERS if the credit was already received for the same period(s) of military service in another Oklahoma state retirement system.

Qualifying Periods of Free Military Service

Members who joined OPERS prior to July 1, 2000 may be granted service free of cost for certain periods of active military service. The credit is limited to specific periods of active military service listed in paragraph 23 of Section 902 of Title 74 of the Oklahoma Statutes, which includes the following:*

45th Division September 16, 1940 – December 7, 1941
World War II December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946
Korean War June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955
Vietnam War February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975
(For the period from February 28, 1961 – August 4, 1964, service must be in the Republic of Vietnam)
Gulf War/Persian Gulf War/Operation Desert Storm August 1, 1990 – December 31, 1991

Other qualifying periods of free military service include wars or military operations which lasted for 90 days or more and are authorized by Congressional authorization or resolution or Presidential Executive Order. Qualifying service is only for the period served in the designated area of responsibility and excludes active duty for training only. Such wars or military operations include, but are not limited to, the following:*

The former Yugoslavia
(including Bosnia, Herzegovina, Croatia and Macedonia)
By Public Law 104-117
Beginning November 21, 1995 Ending date to be determined
The Kosovo Area
By Executive Order 13119
and Public Law 106-21
Beginning March 24, 1999 Ending date to be determined
Afghanistan/Operation Enduring Freedom
By Executive Order 13239
and Public Law 106-21
Beginning September 18, 2001 Ending date to be determined
Iraq War/Second Gulf War/Operation Iraqi Freedom
By Public Law 107-243
Beginning March 10, 2003 Ending date to be determined

Military service outside the periods listed above may be available for purchase after November 1, 2022. The actual periods for which military service can be granted are governed by Oklahoma State statute and can change from time to time. Consult the statutes and OPERS before relying on the above information.

USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act)

A member who is absent from work due to voluntary or involuntary military service can take advantage of the right, created under the Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), to buy back service credit lost during the military absence. To assert rights under USERRA, see your Retirement Coordinator, or contact OPERS immediately upon your return to employment. Certain time limits and conditions must be met, and contributions may be required to be paid before service can be granted. For more information about USERRA, see your Retirement Coordinator.

Military Records Resources

National Archives

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Dr
St Louis, MO 63138
314-801-0800 (Weekdays 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM CST)

* The list is for convenience only. The official periods for which military service is granted is found in Section 902(23) of Title 74 of the Oklahoma Statutes. 

Skip to content